Sunday 15 August 2021

The Rose Kiss by Esme Rome

In this retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Lana Moreau is named the Belmorta (beautiful death) by a local prophet and framed for poisoning one of her unwanted suitors. Fleeing into the forest, she finds refuge at an enchanted castle with invisible servants and a host who requests she never try to look at him. As soldiers search outside, the two become close - but the magic that hides the castle from Lana's pursuers is also hiding them from a greater threat - one who will stop at nothing.

This was definitely an interesting twist on Beauty and the Beast! I like that while Lana enjoyed reading, she wasn't a carbon copy of Belle. The world has a magic all of its own.

I did find the world-building inconsistent and this led to enough plot holes that the pacing felt off. The fairytale feel with two lost souls bonding in an empty castle morphed into a frantic fantasy adventure and it was a rather rocky transition. I also found it hard to like Lana as she came across as judgey and self-absorbed.

I can definitely see potential in the author and that cover is gorgeous, but it's definitely a first novel and I hope the next ones get a little more polish and a tougher editor.

The Rose Kiss is available now.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley; all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment