Tuesday 27 July 2021

Pause by Kylie Scott

Anna, recent car crash victim and coma patient, finds her life (and husband) have moved on without her. A little bit lost, and a lot smothered by her mom, she reaches out to the man who pulled her from the wreckage of the car crash that stole months of her life. Leif has his own scars - both physical and emotional - but together, he and Anna might just find a way to heal.

Every time I read a new book by Kylie Scott, I wonder if this is where she loses me. Where her blend of down to earth heroines and bad-boy heroes jumps the shark.

I am happy to report that this is not that book.

I absolutely love how Anna is your average Jane, with her own set of insecurities and flaws, as she learns to navigate a massive life change. Leif struggling as well, in the aftermath of the events of Repeat, as well as the car crash. Despite this, he encourages Anna to take charge of her own life and start living again. They're both hurt, but what didn't kill them brought them together.

Much of the angst in this book is situational rather than relational. Anna is still recovering from the car crash and her ex won't stay away. There's also a lovely subplot exploring her relationship with her mom that makes me want to give my own a call.

Anyone who wants a high-conflict romance might find this not to their liking, but I really enjoyed this slower-paced hospital-buddies to lovers as it explored relationships and growth after a life-changing event. It's sweet, sexy, and emotionally fulfilling.

Pause is available now in ebook and hard copy.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via SocialButterfly PR; all opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment