Saturday 21 July 2018

#Starstruck by Sariah Wilson

Have you ever dreamed about that movie/musical/sports star sweeping into your life and sweeping you off your feet? Starstruck is that story. It’s every girl’s fantasy poured onto a page. It’s the story of Zoe, a college student, and of Chase, the heartthrob actor who falls for her. This was a deliciously self-indulgent story about love, secrets, and celebrity.

Zoe’s family are adorable, especially her baby sister Zia, and I treasured Zoe’s best friend for being kickass and funny in her own right. I also loved that Zoe had boundaries around sex that Chase respected - too often, the girl is a virgin who hasn’t met the right guy (who inevitably isn’t a virgin, btw), and it’s up to him to coax her into it. I found this particular plot point refreshingly different.

I did find the storyline a bit predictable, however, and the middle portion drags a bit as Zoe faces the same conflict again and again. While her flaws make her real, her stubbornness left me exasperated. I reckon some of that could’ve been cut without affecting the climax of the book.

Otherwise, it was an enjoyable read that left me happy and wanting just a little bit more. I'd be keen to read more from this author.

Four stars.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment