Monday 10 July 2017

The Language of Flowers by Christina Rose Andrews

A sweet but meaningful second chance romance 

While reading this eBook on my tablet, I was told they had never seen someone concentrating so hard on a tv show. Once I corrected their misapprehension about my choice of entertainment, I was SO INVESTED I cut the small talk short to get back to the story. 

I'll be quick: I enjoyed this book. It mixes some classic elements (second chance romance) with some less common ones (male point of view). The characters drew me in; they are both realistic and flawed. Both have plenty of baggage and miscommunication, but wonder of wonders, they actually (minor spoiler) GO TO COUNSELLING and hash it out. It was one of the most cathartic scenes I have ever read. The backing cast are interesting and numerous, each with a story I think I’d like to hear - but they don’t detract from the romance at the heart of this book.

The first-person, train of thought style took a few chapters to get used to, but I stopped noticing within a few chapters. I perhaps might have liked the teaching to be more than a background thing, but the story was still well-fleshed out so I didn't feel the lack terribly. 

Overall, this is a sweet and satisfying read with enough meat to make it interesting. Go and give it a try. 

Five floral stars

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this story from the author in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment