Thursday 6 June 2024

Review: Mage Assassins & Other Misfits by Annette Marie &Rob Jacobsen

Holy rising stakes, Batman!

This isn't a great place to jump in - at the very least, go back one book to Warped #4 (Stolen Sorcery), or even to Warped #1 (Warping Minds) to meet Kit - better yet, Spellbound #1 (Three Mages) to understand the whole Guild Codex universe. Many of Kit's previous stories filled in the blanks and behind the scenes at the MPD for both Spellbound and Demonised, but Warped #4 revealed the big bad of Kit's whole series - and they're BIG.

For those who are following along, this is EPIC. Yes, we get more Darius (and Blythe) backstory (and it's just as tasty as you could hope) but this is Kit's show. He's a little bit less snarky than previous books, mostly due to the overlay of tension, but he has the same good heart. I loved seeing him stretch himself magically as he's come a long way since KCQ. Zak once said Kit was the most powerful mythic alive - as of this book, I can believe it.

What I loved: amazing characters from both the MPD and C&H, slow-burn relationship development, magical heists, badass magic fights

What I'm not going to love: waiting for the next book because there's just a teeny little cliffhanger leading into Kit's finale! I have no idea how Kit's going to get out of this whole situation, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that I can trust Annette with the characters she's made me love.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher; all opinions are my own


No comments:

Post a Comment