Wednesday 12 January 2022

Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko

Raised by tutors and longing for her often-absent mother's approval, Tarisai has only ever wanted a family to belong to. When she is sent to the Children's Palace to vie for a place on the Prince's Council, a group who will be bound by blood and magic, it seems like a dream come true - except her mother sent her bound with a magical command: to gain the Prince's trust, and then kill him.

I was absolutely blown away by this book. The world-building is intricate and gorgeous, and world like and unlike our own, where Oluwan stands at the centre of a magically-bound empire and restless shades can be summoned by burning their possessions. The prose is incredible and I was immersed from the very first page, though I had to take some breaks to recover from the spell the book cast on me.

Tarisai is clever but naive, well-schooled but sheltered, doing the best she can with what she's got and making friends as well she can. Beyond her growth - a beautiful story in its own right - we have a story of empire, where unity means uniformity and peace is attained through silence. Being part of the Prince's Council would put Tarisai at the centre of power but she must decide what she truly wants and what future she wants to be part of.

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Raybearer is available now in ebook and hard copy, and I've already ordered the sequel (it's a duology)

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley; all opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment