Thursday 30 December 2021

A Hex for Danger by Esme Addison

Aleksandra Daniels is slowly settling into the family business and learning to wield her hidden magic. Her happy life is threatened when a travelling artist is murdered and one of her small circle of friends is the prime suspect. While Alex's investigation is hampered by her boyfriend being the lead detective, it is further complicated by industrial espionage and magical interference. Has Alex cast her last spell?

I found this mystery well put together, with enough clues that it fitted together and enough red herrings to keep me guessing. The solution was clever and well written! Unfortunately, the ongoing story arc totally spoiled the first book (victim, murderer, motive), so heads up for that, this series should not be read out of order. The paranormal added an interesting twist but some of it felt a little confused; it’s definitely building up an ongoing story arc. 

The lead character really frustrated me - mostly on how her detective boyfriend sets down clear and sensible boundaries (both for her safety and his job) and she steps all over them, along with violating her family’s ethics, and doesn’t face any consequences in this book. It also annoyed me that everyone assumed Celeste's guilt over what seemed like very circumstantial evidence - which is fine for the town gossips, but I'd expect the police to look for actual evidence, especially with an incorrect arrest in recent memory.

Overall this was a good read and a well written mystery but there were a few things that bothered me and I'd suggest starting at the first book.

A Hex for Danger is available now in ebook or hard copy.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book via NetGalley, all opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment