Saturday 23 January 2021

Calculated Risks by Seanan McGuire

Y'all. I made a mistake.

I've been really good at going to bed recently. I'd hit the sack between ten and eleven o'clock, maybe closer to midnight if I'm going a bit late. But for this book? I started reading and didn't get off the couch until I was done, somewhere after two am.

As a quick note, Calculated Risks is not a good place to start this series. The best place to start would be at the beginning with Discount Armageddon, or perhaps with one of the many short stories on Seanan's website. Calculated Risks picks up directly where Imaginary Numbers left off, stranded in an alien dimension by semi-sentient math.

Trust me, it makes sense in context.

Sarah is a delight to read because she's so aware that's she's different - non-human, raised as a Price - and circumstances have her viewing her own family from the outside. They're as weird and scary as you would expect from a paranoid set of cryptozoologists. We get more understanding of Sarah and her species, and we get to explore a whole new world. Seanan manages to weave together the familiar and the fantastical into a cohesive if sometime confusing whole, and I loved it.

This book had me riveted to the very end and immediately after finishing I wanted to go back and read it again, so this makes this an easy five stars.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book via NetGalley, all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment