Sunday 5 August 2018

I Had Such Friends by Meg Gatland-Veness






This is a classic modern coming-of-age story set in rural Australia. It’s the story of Hamish, who has exactly one friend, and how his life changes after popular Charlie Parker dies in a car accident. It’s well written and peppered with Aussie slang, though a little predictable at times.





I can’t call this an easy read. It’s full of grief, past and present, and painful self-discovery. Hamish can be selfish, thoughtless, and a terrible friend - at least he’s candid about his faults and grows.





I am not the target audience for this book - I couldn’t see myself in any of the characters, I am only too glad to be free of high school, and the only happy thing about the ending is that it isn’t an ending at all - it’s a hopeful “life goes on” to what would otherwise be a rather depressing read. On the other hand, while this book might not be for me, I am sure there are others for whom it will resonate, and I hope it finds its way into their hands.





Three lonely stars.






I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment