Saturday 4 May 2024

Review: The Sundered Realms by Casey Blair

I just want to wrap myself up in this story and squee.

Now, I don't think I would want to live in the world of the Sundered Realms - it's post-magical apocalypse, where the many realms have been sundered into separate dimensions and demons live in the in-between void. But I enjoyed this book from practically the first page.

Our heroine Liris is a compelling blend of beautifully educated and extremely sheltered. She once made the mistake of advocating for change, and as a result has been trapped forever training as an ambassador-spy while her peers and juniors are sent out on assignment. Her superpower is her mind - pattern recognition and language learning - rather than a secret power from mysterious magical heritage. I loved that her training allows her (and by extension, us the reader) to understand the nuances behind every minuscule action and word choice, adding a depth and richness to every interaction.

The hero is a little more enigmatic - Lord Vhannor is rich, powerful, and a perfect complement to Liris. In fact, the book is stuffed with interesting side characters and I'm deeply hopeful that we will get to see more of each of them - even the villain!

Overall, I really enjoyed a story that celebrated scholarship in a fast-paced quest through the realms to stop demons from destroying everything. I'd knock a half-star off for a climax stuffed with magibabble that got a little hard to follow, but I'll definitely be looking out for the next one!

The Sundered Realms is available now!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book via NetGalley, all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment