Saturday 22 February 2020

The Arrangement by Sylvia Day; Minerva Spencer; Kristin Vayden

This is a collection of novellas, all involving arranged marriages. Specifically, we have one story with matchmakers and two with marriages of convenience, and the overall effect is... mixed.

Mischief and the Marquess by Sylvia Day
I have to say, this was my least favourite of the three. I felt like we started in the middle of the series and skipped to the end. The most frustrating thing was that no-one ever explains exactly why or how Sophie is so ruined that she can't imagine a happy ending with Justin. I do however give Justin kudos for considering it unthinkable that he would sleep with Sophie and not marry her, and then following through. He was possibly my favourite of the heroes for his integrity and common sense.

The Duke's Treasure by Minerva Spencer
Beau needs money. Jo has money, and has secretly been in love with him for five years. Her father brokers the match from his deathbed, a match that has its roots in tangled relationships from - you guessed it - five years ago. I enjoyed how Beau and Jo got to know each other and you know what? I changed my mind. I love how Beau made a conscious decision to honour and befriend his new wife, even as his ex-fiancee and current sister-in-law crashes the honeymoon. I do think this one finished quite abruptly though.

The Inconvenient Countess by Kristin Vayden
In a flip of the previous story, Diana needs money and Brook needs respectability. This one made a little bit less sense than the other one and I found the story even more rushed. Of course, the best part was how Brook and Diana both decided that while this wasn't an ideal situation, they would make the best of it and learn to live with the other - and of course, 'live with' turns to love with startling alacrity.

Overall, this was a decent but not great collection of stories that had good relationships but where (likely due to word limits) the plots all fell by the wayside. Three stars.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC via NetGalley; all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment